European Data Protection Supervisor
The EDPS's main task consists of protecting individuals whose personal data are processed by Community institutions or bodies – such as the European Data Protection Authority, the Council and the European Parliament but also, for example, the Court of Justice, the Committee of the Regions or the European Investment Bank – and advising these institutions on data protection in a wide range of areas of activity.
As a body with the power of oversight the EDPS receives complaints from EU personnel, as well as from other persons who believe that their personal data have not been processed correctly by a Community institution or body. The EDPS is not competent for national issues, however.
The EDPS issues opinions both on new draft legislative texts and non-binding instruments such as communications, to the extent they impactdata protection. Its opinions are public and available on its website. The EDPS also publishes comments, writes letters and gives presentations on specific topical subjects, for example in the committees of the European Parliament. Finally, the EDPS has the right to intervene in cases submitted to the Court of Justice of the European Communities, the Court of First Instance and the Civil Service Tribunal.
The EDPS qualifies the third part of its activities as "cooperation", which is either punctual or structural cooperation with other data protection authorities. The most important form of cooperation within the European Union is the Article 29 Working Party, in which the Belgian Authority also takes part. For third pillar activities of the European Union, which cover police and judicial cooperation, the EDPS promotes data protection by participating in the activities of the Working Party on Police and Justice, as does the Belgian Authority.
Since 2004 the EDPS has ensured supervision of the central authority of Eurodac, a database which collects the fingerprints of asylum seekers and aliens residing in the EU illegally.
- The Authority
- Article 29 Working Party on the protection of personal data
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Authorityers
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles